Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tikal pictures





This place was just about as cool as it gets when you realize that it is thousands of years old. It kind of put me in my place in a lot of ways. It was the tallest tower, Tower 4, that is the one that hikers get to early in order to watch the sun rise over the jungles. In our case, we watched the sun break through the fog. Listening to the howler monkeys off in the distance was neat. They actually sounded like a very large cat growling. I met some really cool people at the top of the tower.

After about an hour more I had had enough of the ruins and hitched a ride back to town. All of the tour guides wanted to charge me $20-$40 USD to go 20 minutes. Hitch hiking is much cheaper and I also learn just how much we all have in common with one another.