Friday, July 24, 2009

New Mexico Day 2








What a day it turned out to be. We awoke and all four of us decided to hit the road. Our travels today took us first to have breakfast with Maya, Andres and Yako. I cannot tell you how great it was to finally meet them. We all have so much in common including the 14 month old Yako who has the greatest smile and looks like a little man. He is such a happy child and really enjoyed the dogs. And Maya, well, she is everything and more than Rosemary said. She embodies the well-rounded spiritual mother/wife/woman. Her husband Andres and I both connected as I had hoped we would. I think I am beginning to really realize that it IS about your community of friends and family. I am feeling as though these three are family and that our relationship will intensify. It was so great to spend the early afternoon with this new family of ours. We plan on stopping back in Albuquerque and all 8 of us going on a trip to some hot springs and maybe camping in a few weeks. I can’t wait to see what we end up doing and where.

After leaving Albuquerque, I really had no idea what to expect except that I had a 3.5 hour drive to Farmington. What a gorgeous drive it turned out to be. We climbed to 7000 feet elevation and crossed through grasslands and canyon lands. I had never before seen this kind of landscape again. It was so beautiful. I think it might have been a primer for what we will see tomorrow once we drive through Arches National Park and Canyon Lands up outside of Moab, Utah.

We made it to Farmington and I got the kids settled in and then went to visit my Uncle john and Aunt Susie. They have a nice place outside of Farmington with 2 miniature horses, 3 goats, 3 chickens, 1 cat, 2 dogs and probably 50 or so hummingbirds. I just love what they have going on together. The gardens are desert plants that are low maintenance and the animals all have their very own space to live amongst one another, sharing the living space. It is so obvious that they are all showered with love and attention. I am planning on coming back to visit in early September bringing Rose to see their farm. John also has an amazing workshop and a very respectable quiver of bicycles. I am completely impressed and envious of what they have accomplished together. It is really nice to see the passion that they both have for life. This is also true for Uncle Pat and Dale in Louisiana. It all goes back to quality of friends and family and I am lucky enough to have such great family to visit with along this journey. Thanks John, Susie, Pat, Dale, Maya, Andres and Yako!!!

Tomorrow we are off to Moab for a day or so. John mentioned to me that the heat during this time of year makes it extremely hard to do the mountain biking that I wanted to do. So we’ll see what happens, maybe I will do one in the evening rather than in the middle of the day. Who knows, we’ll see. Goodnight everyone.