Sunday, July 19, 2009

New Braunfels, TX

Today was a day of desperation. I decided at about 12:25 pm that I, we, needed to get to a better location with more opportunity to repair the truck. I visit the diesel forums online and they had a list of "help" sorted by state. These are individuals that mention that they can help those in need. I called about 5 or 6 people this morning and 2 called me back. The one that I really wanted to call me back, did. He gave me the name of his neighbor, a diesel mechanic for 20 years, and we spoke. He told me that I should be OK to drive it to San Antonio keeping a close eye on the gauges for oil pressure and temperature's etc. So we did so. It smoked and the DTC codes I am getting now for the injectors on the right side. The thing I liked about this mechanic is that he did not immediately jump into me having to replace the injectors which are about $300 each, 4 have already been replaced with 4 left. He mentioned some problem solving he wanted to do. So, this is what we are doing for the moment. The truck is more than likely going to be towed to this mechanic tomorrow for him to look at Tuesday. It was making some pretty loud knocking noises which I have heard previously on another diesel I owned. I plan on spending my time reading and possibly wake boarding at a local cable park here in New Braunfels. That was the whole reason we were going this route in the first place, so I might as well get some practice. So life is good, even with the challenges. In the big scheme of things, these challenges are nothing knew, it is just taking place in a different place, out of my comfort zone. I am beginning to think that is why they are here in the first place. This is really what I have been dreaming about, living on the road with Rosemary, supporting her art and having a home away from home. So these problems are simply a different kind of welcoming party to the challenges faced on the road. At least this is how I am going to look at it. So would say that it is simply occurring because it was time for the engine to have issues....I think it is more than just that. I think spirit is challenging me to see if I can do it, or if I am going to turn back and run to the comfort zone of Atlanta. So, these are my thoughts for the day.

This evening I had dinner with a friend of mine who worked for me in Atlanta. Alex actually helped me take the shell off of this trailer when I began the renovation. So it was nice to be able to show him the finished result. He told me he thought it was a piece of trash back then. I spent about 30 minutes showing him the pictures of Guatemala since he is from there. He is here in San Antonio working. He has offered to help me with whatever I need while I am in town. What a friend!!! This is truly what I consider a friend.

I just got off the phone with some other very very special friends of mine in Houston. I am realizing that I am definitely not alone out here. There is alot of support all around me even on the road. So I am still out looking for a recommended diesel mechanic. Oh, some of you may get a kick out of this, I am going to have a small ceremony this evening with the truck. Going to burn some sage, sweet grass, and sing some chants, or at least try to chant. It couldn't hurt.....

The dogs are sleeping and I am ready to dream as well. I am wishing for wonderful dreams tonight and a wonderful day tomorrow. Life IS truly wonderful, even more so when we are challenged....