Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Challenges on the road







Well, we did not get too far along when we were faced with our 1st problem. I noticed thick black smoke coming from the truck, as though the fuel were not burning completely. So I had only been on the road for an hour or so. So I quickly decided to find the nearest campground and set up for the day. So it is a fuel injector that needs to be replaced. Thankfully, I found a Ford Fleet mechanic, Gary at FleetPro, and he will have the truck ready for the road tomorrow at lunch time. The cost is not low, but the issue was going to come up sometime, so now is the time. It could have been a lot worst. So I have internet, AC, my dogs are fine, and the truck is getting repaired. Tomorrow evening we should be in Slidell LA depending on how the truck situation turns out.

One of my biggest fears is the thought of being stuck on the side of the road with the trailer and dogs. It would be naive of me to think that this is the only challenge we will face on this trip. It is definitely teaching me how to not be in control. I really don't have that much I can do without a vehicle. Internet access allows for some great viewing material on hulu.com So we watched some National Geographic documentaries and drank coffee w/pure cocoa, and we left waiting for the family vehicle to return. The down time definitely gave me time to re-organize the trailer a little better. Otherwise, I have really enjoyed this 1st day of traveling, not really traveling anywhere at all.

This evening is filled with the frogs chirping. It is nice to be able to open the windows of the trailer and to hear all of the life surrounding us. It is like a choir of frogs tonight.....Rosemary just called and she is doing well. Will write tomorrow evening when I am in Louisiana.