Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A lighter load

So it is time again to prepare for festival season. Springfest, LEAF, Inman Park, and more...We will soon be on the road again. This past weekend I changed my oil, the transmission fluid, rear differential fluid, spark plugs, brake pads, all 4 shocks and wired the tail light located on the camper top. Roof rack on the camper top will carry a thule cargo box along with my mountain bike. I am ready to hit the road this year with a little less to carry. I like the thought of camping out in the back of the pickup, LED lights, a laptop, and some good books... no hookups, no F350 with injector problems, and definitely no trailer to pull. I love these little 4 cylinder engines. It is what I grew up driving in high school and even college. I guess it took having alot to realize that I really needed very little. So this truck gets about 10 miles to every dollar of fuel. I have wired my iphone directly into the auxilary port of the stereo which allows audiobooks and podcasts to play endlessly. My favorites podcasts are This American Life, Fresh Air, and Bill Moyer's journal. I am an Ira Glass addict. So....needless to say, I am ready to hit the road again. I have added a few spots of interest this year. Taos, NM, Idaho, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Utah again, Colorado and Kansas to visit my sister. I get excited just thinking about these trips, camping in the bed of the truck, anywhere I am able, mostly for free. A new friend/mentor of mine has a ton of knowledge about hiking, biking, climbing and everything out in Wyoming, so I plan on picking his brain. This will be the year of simple traveling with a hit of Earthship Biotecture and if I am lucky, a trip with friends to attend a Lakota Sundance ceremony.