Thursday, March 11, 2010

Grayton Beach State Park






While in Florida at Grayton State Park, I gained a new loved for simplicity and of all things, the minivan. I usually associate these vehicles with moms and children. I think I mentioned in a previous post that this would be the year of simple travel. I am in love with minivans. We pulled out all of the seats, threw in a futon mattress, a cargo carrier on top, and a small cooler, and the minivan became our own private space protecting us from the elements. I love tents, don’t get me wrong, but having a hard shell over you while sleeping can be comforting. We had the travel trailer for just that reason. The back cup holders make great candle holders of pillar candles. We put the laptop on the cooler and can watch movies at night. I am of the opinion that if I were to travel more, I think the minivan is the perfect vehicle. Minivans rock!

As far as everything else is going, we aren’t making money here this time around. We will have to wait for Springfest to make some money. I have speant the last few days hiking in the Point Washington State Forest. There are some great trails that go for miles in and out of a few different ecosystems. Marley loves it and it gives Rosemary and I some time to connect with nature. So quiet and so peaceful. The beaches are almost deserted during this week of Spring Break. Oh well, it is a nice beach vacation anyway.


Upon my return I’m headed on a river trip down the Flint River, two days of paddling and a overnight halfway.
The mens group I am a member of has brought some much needed support in my journey of life. It could not have come at a better time. We are a group whose three pillars are outdoor activities, community service and spiritual growth mainly being Lakota teachings. Since I have not really gravitated to Christianity, it is nice to have an opportunity to learn more about the teachings of the Lakota Indians. In my opinion, their teachings and views are inspirational and provide a framework that everyone should consider studying. I am listening to a great audio book right now that discusses the heart of Native American philosophy and the twelve core qualities that are crucial to the Lakota way of life, The Red Road. The twelve qualities include living-bravery, fortitude, generosity, wisdom, respect, honor, perseverance, love, humility, sacrifice, truth and compassion.

I am sure to take a closer look at each of these core qualities and my observations of daily living.